Pets live long lives due to modernized vet care and overall dietary changes. As a result, age-related conditions are at the forefront of pet care. At All Creatures Great and Small Animal Hospital and Urgent Care, we provide pet owners in Denville, NJ, with senior pet care services.
When is a Pet Considered a Senior?
An older pet’s weight is a factor when considering them geriatric. Cats and smaller dogs fall into the category at around seven years old. However, larger dogs tend to have shorter lifespans.
Potential Health Problems in Senior Pets
Humans and pets are not that much different when they age. Below are some of the health issues related to senior pets:
- Heart disease
- Liver disease
- Kidney and urinary tract disease
- Overall weakness
- Bone and joint disease
Happy, Healthy Long Lives
A simple conversation with a veterinarian is the first step in ensuring that a pet stays healthy and happy for as long as possible. Older pets require a bit more attention, including more regular vet checkups, changes to their environment, and variations in their diet. There are a few things to consider with an older pet:
- Regular Veterinary Care: Rather than annual visits, elder pets need semi-annual checkups. It detects issues early and treats existing problems to improve a pet’s quality of life to avoid visits to an emergency pet hospital.
- Diet, Nutrition, and Weight Control: Senior pets require changes in their food, adjusting for ease of digestion, calorie intake, or anti-aging qualities. Weight gain is often a key factor when dealing with an older pet’s health which makes controlling calories all the more important.
- Vaccination: Regular vaccines are a part of any pet’s healthcare. However, geriatric cats and dogs require them more often, because age reduces the strength of their immune systems.
- Reproductive Diseases: Spaying and neutering pets isn’t just about population control. These procedures are also vital to stopping future illnesses such as reproductive cancers.
- Parasite Control: Because of their diminished immune systems, invaders like parasites become a larger threat to pets. The parasites put senior pets in danger of conditions that they cannot recover from or cause them to require emergency visits to an animal hospital.
Senior Pet Care in Denville, NJ
Call All Creatures Great and Small Animal Hospital and Urgent Care today at (973) 625-3641 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our veterinarian.